What is fitness? It’s an obvious question, but with a variety of answers.
Some say it means being ‘strong.’
Some say it means having a ‘big cardio engine.’
Some say it means looking great on the beach.
Some say it means being healthy.
All of the above are true, but there is more…
Fitness also means being able to carry out a variety of physical tasks with ease and enjoyment.
Some examples, in no particular order:
- Climbing stairs without gasping for breath;
- Walking home with groceries;
- Running to catch the bus:
- Shoveling snow;
- Outdoor activities—hiking, cycling, swimming, skiing;
- Keeping your balance (on an icy sidewalk, on a bus that’s lurching around…)
- ‘Upping your game’—tennis, dancing, windsurfing, soccer…
- Picking stuff up and carrying it around!